JEWISH LEARNING AND LIVING
Through the Lenses
JECEI established a set of core Jewish values and ideas to guide our work in constructing Jewish early childhood centers. Understood as "lenses," they helped create a framework for teachers and parents for study, discussion and development of a shared vision in the classroom. There is much room for interpretation but below is sample of how JECEI used the lenses:
- Masa: Journey (Reflection, Return and Renewal): Families would come together to begin a continual journey that implies both struggle and promise. They make time for moments of celebration, regularly gathering for Shabbat, holidays and other important moments .
- B'rit: Covenant (Belonging and Commitment): The families and staff of JECEI schools entered into a "covenant" of mutual support with clearly defined, but evolving obligations and roles.
- Tzelem Elokim: Divine Image (Dignity and Potential): The school community would honor everyone's uniqueness and diversity would be celebrated.
- K'dushah: Holiness (Intentionality and Presence): Families would come together to appreciate the blessing of having a community.
- Hit'orerut: Awakening (Amazement and Gratitude): This built on children's joy of discover, their sense of amazement and wonder as a source of energy.
- D'rash: Interpretation (Inquiry, Dialogue, and Transmission): By studying together and through joint inquiry and dialogue the community would bond, and grow.
- Tikkun Olam: Repair of the World (Responsibility): This lens emphasized the school communities' responsibility to the world around us.